Brief description :
GES is seeking a highly innovative, motivated and talented Optical Engineer with leadership capabilities and with experience in Optical and Opto-Mechanical Design to join our team. As a member of the Hardware Engineering Team, the Optical Engineer will contribute directly to the execution of GES technology and product development projects & strategy through technical product development. Working on cutting edge solutions, the Hardware Engineering Team is responsible for a wide array of new product development and advanced technology development programs in support of GES multi-year product and technology roadmap.
- Often works under the direction or supervision of an Optical Engineering Manager.
- Execution of design projects from concept through delivery.
- Works closely with Project Management (PM) and cross-functional (AME) teams to execute projects to requirements and schedule.
- Works closely with PM and Sales to assess opportunities and perform project estimation tasks.
- Perform technical analysis required (ray-trace, simulation, tolerance and error budgeting) and present results.
- Drive design and build of prototypes. Perform characterization and analysis relative to theoretical design and initial requirements.
- Complete documentation required for release to manufacturing.
Required Education and/or Experience
- MS/PhD degree in Physics (PhD preferred).
- 1-2 years of demonstrated engineering & product development experience is plus.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Understanding of optics and opto-electronic devices fundamentals and an ability to clearly convey an understanding to others.
- Extensive domain knowledge in opto-mechanical design, designs of complex systems, and automation engineering in the areas of automated test equipment, semiconductor capital equipment and optical and vision systems development.
- Hands on laboratory experience with optical components and lenses, cameras, lasers, LEDs, multilayer coatings, illumination and imaging optics.
- Strong knowledge in Physical optics, Fourier optics and geometrical optics design.
- Working understanding of optical manufacturing techniques. Ability to interpret measurement data from optical component manufacturers is plus.
- Ability to multi-task and operate efficiently in a fast-paced product development environment with multiple projects at various stages of completion.
- Ability to innovate and architect new product designs when opportunities present.
- Strong proficiency with optics design simulation tools such as Zemax, Code-V is plus.
- Ability to simulate design and analyze data with software package such as Matlab and Python.
- Excellent communication skills with the following: interdepartmental (mechanical, electrical, software, system engineers), cross-functional (sales, marketing)
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including strong presentation skills – includes ability to present to customers
- Up to 30% travel (intermittent travel to support customer projects)